Monday, April 27, 2020

Session 3: Trollskull Manor



Excerpt from Hank's celebrity autobiography, working title "How I Became the World's Richest Twins (and You Can't Two)"

...Volo contacted us to go to the city hall and sign over the deed to Trollskull Manor.
We decided to take a look at the manor that was deeded to us. It turned out to be a ramshackle dump. The others saw some potential, and a halfling named Broxley Fairkettle from the Fellowship of Innkeepers told us he could more or less set us up with all the guild contacts to refurbish the place and set us up with a license. This seemed a little too much like a slow way to get marginally better off and I'd probably only get 2/8 of a share. I'll leave the decisions to people who care about those type of things and lend a hand here and there.

We talked it over and decided to go back to the Yawning Portal and talk to Yulie* about some more instant gratification. She didn't have much but introduced us to Dan* another contact who let us know someone was disrupting our common interests in the Docks district by decapitating elves and, more importantly, half-elves. The lordlings split off to meet some gelded fancy pants who invited them to the Opera. They got two tickets to the opera to meet someone else. We got back together and decided to split up and pursue both leads. They went to the opera. Meanwhile the rest of us devised a plan to meet down where the disappearances have been happening. We split up until nighttime. Chip agreed to find our friend from the docks and knowing Mungo Corpulent Johnny, I'm guessing they got to day-drinking and passed out before the planned meetup.

I broke out my disguise kit to become Andy Oakley, fallen druid, and covertly observe the goings on at a few bars, but it must have been too early because I didn't see any other elves. The bell rang eleven and we met up at the corner. I told them what I'd been doing, but it wasn't working, so we decided I would be used as bait. I stashed my costume and pretended to stagger down an alley while the rest did their best to hide.

Well, the bait worked a little too well and some drow took a shot at me from a rooftop with a pistol. I flattened myself to the wall and he shot at me again. Dagri tried to put him to sleep, Cuysen challenged him by calling him a scoundrel, Yinrick turned into a bug and scurried up in the drow's face and started blowing spores at him. I missed most of what happened next because there was a sphere of darkness, and I couldn't scale the wall, but I heard a couple of blasts of thunder. Just as I was getting frustrated, it turned out that my intuition was correct and the drow had made a big mistake waking up a drunken pirate. Mungo Corpulent Johnny had been inside the shop and he quickly scaled the wall and took a second to take in the situation. It seems that my colleagues had talked the drow into surrendering and he said he was Soluun Xibrindas a member of a drow organization called Bregan D'Aerth. He also said that they operate at the Lightsinger Theater, which is where the opera was as well.

But apparently that wasn't enough for Mungo Corpulent Johnny. I guess he likes Chip and I more than I knew, but he blew a fuse and tried to throw the drow from the roof. His gambit failed, but Dagrim helped him out of the situation. I'm guessing he was embarrassed and wanted to avoid answering questions, so he disappeared into the darkness just as I finally pulled myself up on the roof. Dagrim pointed at him, and the drow grabbed his ears as he fell to the ground and died.
I thanked him for putting an end to the creep who tried to blow my head off twice. When the drow died, the darkness disappeared, and Mungo Corpulent Johnny was gone.

* Names changed to protect the living from prosecution

No comments:

Post a Comment