Thursday, November 7, 2013

Equipment Availability

So, when I was writing up the setting, I said that Threshold acts like a Class IV market for the purposes of hiring mercenaries and henchmen. I did this mostly because I didn't want it to be too difficult for the PCs to find hirelings, and the rationale was basically that there's so much adventuring activity, being on the frontier and all, that there were more martial types to be hired than normal. I didn't intend for it to apply to equipment.

Well, last night, a member of the party wanted to buy a suit of plate mail. Not wanting to look up the market availability rules, I said that the PCs could be one of anything in the equipment guide. Looking back, that's way too generous, especially after giving the standard availability table a second look. At the same time, I want them to be able to buy plate mail. So here's the deal. There is one of every piece of equipment that sells for 100gp or less. There's just so much volatility in the market that there's always something available. But if you want more than one, or if you want something that costs more (like a silver two-handed sword), you use the standard table.

No comments:

Post a Comment